Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Model Summer



On my flight back from Ireland, I read A Model Summer by former superduper ubermodel Paulina Porizkova. It kept me steadily turning the pages. The gist of it: a Swedish girl goes to Paris for the summer to model and is thrown into a world of sex, drugs and judgement. The fashion aspect doesn't play very much into it, except for notable mentions of Fiorucci.

Do you remember Paulina from the 80s Cars video, where she's scribbling on the wall behind her like a lunatic? I remember her from Cosmo and other such mag covers.

The blog Conversations with Famous Writers posted:

"Of course as I was reading, I wondered how much of this book Paulina experienced herself as a young model in Europe. I recall Paulina never smiling in her pictures because she had bad teeth, just like the character of Jirina. A Model Summer is worth your time to read, scooping you up into the world of modeling and shocking you with the seedy details and gritty experiences of a young fashion model." Couldn't agree more. Read the rest of the post here.

No comments: