Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Lazarus in a Ted Baker suit


To begin this fashion story, my friends, I need to meander off the path of strictly fashion for a bit, if you'll bear with me.

Last winter, an early morning phone call. Niall was off reporting in Kitchener. Early morning phone calls rarely deliver good news. This was no exception. On the line: Kalle Karkas of Finland, Niall's close pal (and my friend, too, and a rather dapper fellow, I might add--think Prada-meets-futuristic-Scandinavian). Bad news, their good friend Ivan was stricken with a brain tumour, and the prognosis was not good. I was shaken. I told Niall when he got home. He was glum. He called Francesca, Ivan's wife at their London home, the next day. It wasn't good. He was in the hospital. We pondered our mortality. I told Niall to call again after a few weeks had passed. He didn't call. He wanted to call, but I don't think he could bring himself to, just in case bad news awaited on the other end.

Months passed. I nagged, he ignored. What else is new.

Today, news.

Looks like our friend Detective Ivan McNally is alive and blogging. And he's a blogger after my very own heart. He writes about his daughter Camilla's christening:

"Sunday is a success, especially for me. I don't know if it was the Ted Baker linen suit, Nicole Farhi shirt and Patrick Cox loafers, the English accent or a combination of both, but I ended up fighting the wife's mother's mates off with a proverbial stick."

So here are Niall and I all this time convinced that he is dead, and the fecker is blogging about his Patrick Cox shoes and fending off a bunch of his mother-in-law's horny cougar chums in Rome.

I love it.

Fashion. It's the only thing that separates us from the animals.

BTW, his blog is really good, he is a gifted and heartfelt writer: http://thebastardchildofgenehunt.blogspot.com.
BTW part II, how awesome is our friend Francesca's outfit? Digging the flirtily ruffled top and chicly effortless floral-overlay skirt? She is gorgessity epitomized, as ever.



Trends Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

No comments: